Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Little Risky's New Home

The shaggy little chestnut came off a beat-up stock trailer and entered the large marvelous barn of champions. His ribs could be seen through his winter coat and he walked with a slight limp due to a missing shoe. This was my off the track thoroughbred, Little Risky. I recently moved him to a large training facility out near Hillsboro in Virginia where I hoped he would gain weight and flesh out to become a marvelous sport horse. Right now he was nothing compared to the large Irish Sport horses he was turned out with, or the hanoverians down the aisle. He was a dreamhorse.com horse that was found at the bottom of the list.

To everyone, but me, he was just a backyard pony. To me, he was my whole world. I couldn't help but feel guilty for his weight, I didn't keep track of how much grain he was given by those who helped out at my barn. Because of my mistake he's much skinnier than he should be and due to the increase of his cribbing he most likely has stomach ulcers. Now on a new feed plan with weight gain and stomach soothing in mind, I can't help but hope that he'll become my big eventing horse.

Today, after having the farrier come put new shoes on him, I took him out for a spin in the indoor. He was excited and alert, but listened to my aids and came around nicely. Due to him being so young and uneducated, I didn't ask for much other than walk to trot transitions and a bit of canter work. Confirming that the limp was just from sensitivity, I felt confident that he'd be able to do a bit of jump work just to see what he had in him.

I pointed my trusty steed towards a small two foot jump, which I knew he'd be able to clear, and clicked my tongue. The trot quickened, despite my efforts to keep him steady, and he launched himself into the air. I could see the standards right next to my foot and braced myself for the big drop as he landed. That little horse could jump! With many "good boys!" I rounded him around to have him jump in the other direction. His trot quickened, slowed, quickened and then stopped altogether right before the jump. It was my fault, I had been leaning forward to stare at the jump. I still didn't want him thinking he could just stop at a jump, so I kicked him (sounds awful, I promise it wasn't hard) and was about to say "no" when suddenly he launched himself straight up in the air and cleared the jump.

At that point I couldn't help but pat him excitedly and tell him what a good boy he was. He seemed very proud of himself, and I could sense that he was gaining confidence. I turned him around, pointed him at the jump and made my position perfect. He cleared the jump with five feet to spare and we landed perfectly. After a couple more perfect jumps we called it a day. I couldn't have been more pleased with him. I, of course, had to spoil him with treats in the grooming area as I untacked.

I'm already putting money aside to pay for his christmas gifts and grab a couple lessons from Peter Foley, a big hunter (type of riding, not shooting animals) trainer in the area. I feel that in his new home him and I will be able to conquer the different levels of eventing. Also, I am confident that he'll be able to gain weight and get rid of those stomach ulcers. He's getting a proper diet now and I'm sure he'll recover perfectly!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I don't know if you still have A Little Risky, but I am very familiar with him as we were a big part of his early life. It makes me sad to read the state he was in when you got him, as he had the best of the best with us and was always so well treated and appreciated...I was shocked to read he had become a cribber. :( My ex husband was his first trainer ( steeple Chase) and had such faith in the horse. He said "he was a lot of horse in a little package". I am glad he went to someone who cared for him. ...( now I feel like crying) thank you!
    kind regards, Mary Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi out there! Do you still have *A Little Risky* I was searching for some of the TB youngsters that I started and found your blog. I was THRILLED!!I hope he is still with you and loved as it appears he is. He was a delight!

    ReplyDelete